|JUL 2011 – Present||Freelance Hydrogeologist||¤ Millennium EMS Solutions, Calgary, AB, Canada
¤ Itasca Denver Inc., Denver, CO, USA
¤ Andam International LLC., Muscat, Oman
¤ AZD Engineering Ltd., Muscat, Oman
¤ Institute of Water Modelling, Dhaka, Bangladesh
|JAN 2007 – JUL 2011||Mathematical Modelling Specialist||WESA Inc., Ottawa, ON, Canada|
|Feb 2005 – Dec 2006||Hydrogeologist||Earthfx Inc, Toronto, ON, Canada|
|Oct 2003 – Nov 2004||Senior Hydrogeologist||Century Architects and Consulting Engineers, Muscat, Oman|
|Jul 1997 – Oct 2003||Junior Specialist||Institute of Water Modelling, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
JUL 2011 – PRESENT (Freelance Hydrogeologist)
- Provide expert consulting service to businesses around the world and solve their hydrogeological problems.
- Maintain relationship with existing clients and procure work.
- Communicate with potential clients and propose specialized services.
For Millennium EMS Solutions, Calgary, AB, Canada
Successfully completed two major projects for them –
- Hydrogeological Assessment for Robb Trend Expansion Permit: Estimated dewatering requirements and impact of dewatering on local and regional water resources for Robb Trend open-pit coal mine for Coal Valley Resources Inc. to support their mine license and environmental construction application.
- Buried Sulphur Remediation at Windfall: Simulated sulphate plume movement in MT3D for the closed oil storage site at Windfall for Husky Oil Operations Ltd. Compared different excavation scenarios and suggested optimum requirement of excavation to prevent sulphur contaminants reaching the aquifer.
For Itasca Denver Inc. , Denver, CO, USA
Successfully completed the following projects
- Hydrogeological Assessment for the Pre-feasibility Study of TRJV Gold Mine: Estimated dewatering requirements and impact of dewatering for different expansion scenarios of Turquoise Ridge Joint Venture (TRJV) gold mine in Nevada. Also simulated a 500 year pit lake recovery scenario.
- Hydrogeological Assessment for the Voisey’s Bay Nickel Mine: Estimated dewatering requirements and impact of dewatering from open pit and underground mines at Voisey’s Bay for Vale Newfoundland and Labrador Ltd.
- Comparative Study between MineDW and MODFLOW for the MineDW User’s Manual: Carried out a comparative study between MODFLOW and newly released MineDW simulations that was included in the MineDW tutorial manual
- Database Development for Phoenix Groundwater Modelling Project: Developed hydrogeological database in MS Access and wrote necessary data extraction queries for Phoenix groundwater modeling project.
For Andam International LLC. , Muscat, Oman
- Analyze Impact of Deep Aquifer Withdrawal from Block 60 at Abu Butabul: Simulated impacts of different pumping scenarios for proposed deep aquifer extraction wells at block 60 at Abu Butabul in Oman for BG Oman.
- Pumping Schedule Optimization for Sohar Refineries Desalination Plant: Suggested location and pumping schedule for the proposed beach wells to supply municipal water to the desalination plant at Sohar Refineries run by Oman Refineries and Petrochemicals Company (ORPC).
- Analyze Impact of Pumping at Sohar Refineries Desalination Plant: Analyzed impact of different pumping scenarios for the expansion of Water Supply at Sohar Desalination Plant
JAN 2007 – JULY 2011 (Mathematical Modelling Specialist, WESA Inc., Ottawa, ON, Canada)
- Analyze impacts of various natural and man induced activities on hydrogeological cycle of a watershed through numerical modelling
- Determine Surface to Aquifer Advection Time (SAAT), Surface to Well Advection Time (SWAT), Time of Travel (ToT) as per the MOE guidance module
- Delineate Well Head Protection Areas (WHPAs), analyze vulnerability and uncertainty as per the MOE guidance module
- Determine Zone of Influence (ZOI), Capture Zones, Time of Travel (ToT)
- Estimate groundwater budget, base flow etc.
- Analyze borehole logs and pick geology to construct geologic model
- Estimate surface runoff, infiltration and evapotranspiration
- Develop hydrogeological database, analyze data, check consistency and GIS mapping.
- Direct junior staffs on modeling and data preparation
- Estimated Wellhead Protection Areas (WHPAs) for 14 municipal wells in Raisin Region and South Nation Conservation Authority’s jurisdiction. Developed and locally calibrated separate groundwater models for each of these wellheads using latest available data and simulated particle tracking to define Time of Travel (ToT). Also estimated Surface to Aquifer Advection Time (SAAT) and Surface to Well Advection Time (SWAT). These data were later used to assess aquifer vulnerability define threats as per guidelines of the Ontario Ministry of Environment. Also prepared technical reports, attended meeting with the clients and technical advisory team. Project completed in December 2010.
- Estimated dewatering requirements and extent of drawdown cone for Garson Mine by construction a numerical model for Inco. Also constructed the geologic model by analyzing borehole logs and picking geology in 3D using Viewlog.
- Estimated the extent of drawdown cones under different dewatering scenario for the Greely Quarry for Cornwall Gravel Co. Ltd.
- Developed flow and transport models for Carp Landfill in Ottawa using MODFLOW and MT3D for the Waste Management. Compared the fate of different expansion scenario and suggested the best option.
Feb 2005 – Dec 2006 (Hydrogeologist, Earthfx Inc., Toronto, ON, Canada)
- Analyze impacts of various natural and man induced activities on hydrogeological cycle of a watershed through numerical modeling
- Determine characteristics of groundwater flow and fate of contaminant under different scenarios
- Estimate groundwater water budget,, base flow, surface runoff
- Determine zone of influence (ZOI), capture zones, time of travel (ToT)
- Estimate surface runoff, infiltration and evapotranspiration
- Develop hydrogeological database, analyze data, check data consistency.
- Developed transient groundwater flow and contaminant transport model for the closed Stoney Creek landfill site, city of Hamilton, Ontario to determine the fate of leachate contaminants from the landfill site.
- Estimated water budget, groundwater head, drawdown, change in stream flow and time of travel zones through numerical models under different scenarios for different projects like “ Stouffville well field analysis for the York region, Durham region wellhead protection & contaminant sources inventory study, Duffins Creek watershed analysis etc.
- Modified the source code of a climate model “WABAS” developed by Clarifica Inc. to couple it with MODFLOW. Clarifica’s WABAS is a catchment based model which generates average groundwater infiltration, runoff and evapotranspiration from rainfall, temperature, evaporation, land use and surficial geology. Modified code was renamed as VL-WABAS which has increased performance, generates cell based output that can directly be used in a finite difference groundwater model. VL-WABAS was successfully applied in groundwater modeling of Black, Holland and Rouge river watersheds, Ontario to construct groundwater flow models.
Oct 2003 – Nov 2004 (Senior Hydrogeologist, Century Architects and Consulting Engineers, Muscat, Oman)
This was a one-year contract job for the Integrated Catchment Management Project. It was their first project after opening the Environmental Consultancy division. Muhammad was their first employee in the new division and acted as a front face of the company. He was assigned with the following duties-
- Hydrogeological assessments of the catchment
- Numerical modelling
- Keep regular contact with the Ministry, reply to their queries through letters and direct calls
- Give on-job training to a group of three Ministry personnel
- Prepare drilling plans and supervise drilling
- Perform GIS work and data analyses
- Write technical reports and prepare related report figures
- Performed hydrogeological Assessment of the catchment and defined water balance
- Developed groundwater flow, transport and seawater intrusion models for the catchment of Wadi Al Ma’wil
- Analyzed impact of pumping on local and regional water resources
- Proposed different catchment water management plan and simulated effectiveness of each scenario.
- Provided 40 hours on-job training to a group of three Ministry personnel
- Prepared project report, and developed some utility programs in C++ to analyze and process data.
Jul 1997 – Oct 2003 (Junior Specialist, Institute of Water Modelling, Dhaka, Bangladesh)
Joined as a Junior Engineer and was later promoted as a Junior Specialist. Started with Survey and Data Collection Division and supervised data collection team, processed raw data and carried out statistical analyses and QA/QC for different divisions including bathymetry, topography, drilling, pump test etc.
Later promoted as a Junior Specialist in the Groundwater Division and carried out groundwater modelling,, report writing, supervising data processing team.
- Introduced MODFLOW into the Groundwater Division where MIKE SHE was the only option.
- Developed groundwater model for North Bangladesh Deep Tube Well Project. The model covered the whole north-west part of the country. Analysed impact of deep aquifer withdrawal on local and regional water resources.
- Trained a junior engineer to do groundwater modelling with MODFLOW.
- Coded a number of utility software to process raw field data and conduct QA/QC.